Friday, August 28, 2015

The money issue

 
In the time I have been in Alaska, I have eaten new foods (mmmmm boiled salmon roe), tried new activities (filleting a salmon) and learned new words (Camai is Hello when meeting someone for the first time.)  As time goes on, I am sure I will continue to learn more about the people of this area and how to live here successfully. 

One thing many people expressed concern over in my move was the expense of living here.  And it is true, there are some things that make me gasp at the grocery store, the AC here in Tokiak.  Back in Dillingham, I saw a baby loaf of Tillamook cheese that I routinely pay around $5.99 when it was on sale in Portland.  In D'ham, it was $18.00!  The flight in the tiny plane to Togiak was over $200 according to my reimbursement check.  Some of my younger colleagues wail at the cost of rent here, having never paid over a grand for a two bedroom as we do in Portland, if you are lucky enough to find one that cheap.  All of these things do add up but I have found a few ways to keep my new paycheck in the bank.

First of all, one of the things that convinced me I could do this was hearing from Deb, the Manataquk principal who first interviewed me, about Amazon Prime.  By taking advantage of their free shipping, one can buy most grocery items at the same cost as anywhere else in America.  Sure, getting fresh produce doesn't happen with Prime and that sucks but knowing that if I shop carefully I can spend the same money on the same items is great.  The downside is having to guess what is going to sound tasty in two weeks when my food actually arrives.  I am so thankful that I sent two boxes of dry goods and bought a freezer full of meat and protein from the previous 6th grade teacher who was so grateful to sell it to anybody, gave me an incredible deal.

Secondly, not only is my rent fully tax deductible, it includes all utilities.  That means heat, lots and lots of heat.  And water to wash my clothes with my washer/dryer setup, also provided.  And sewer (or septic tank in my case).  And electricity.  My only housing costs are whatever I need to be comfortable.  So tv and internet are on my dollar, but I share both with my next door neighbors who bought the full meal deal and we split the cost, making it crazy cheap for all of us.  There have been some issues getting my tv system to work but one of my new neighbors was a Comcast dude before coming here and has been extremely helpful.  For which I give him candy from the stash I brought in my luggage.  Who doesn't like peppermints?  Nobody, that's who.

Monday is pay day.  I am very interested to see how that shakes out in this no income tax, no sales tax if you buy everything from Amazon and no restaurants, fast food (not really food but I sure spent a lot on it) and no bars.  Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I may actually get to pay off some of my student loans!

By the way, today was also the First Day of School.  It was ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment