Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Getting to Alaska

Deciding what to wear takes on a whole new meaning when thinking in terms of the next ten months.  In packing for this trip, I had many things to keep in mind: teacher vs play clothes, durability of gear, cost of alternative shipping, and the cost of taking stuff on the plane.

  Because I was able to join the 49ers club on Alaska Airlines, I was able to bring two bags free of charge.  I had two traditional carry on bags (a large soft sided duffle bag, my all purpose sub bag) and my CPAP nose hose case.  Because the nose hose is technically medical equipment, it flies free.  The total weight of all these bags I will find out when I fly to Togiak in the little tiny plane because there is no such thing as free bags on the little tiny planes.  Everything I brought will be subject to a .95/lb charge.  In cash.  But the upside (Hi Lindsay!) is that I will get an accurate total of just how many pounds of stuff I brought with me for my new life.

The first flight was uneventful-yay- and reinforced that flying need not be scary at all.  But I got to the airport at 10:30pm.  My next flight was scheduled to board at 5:20am.  I decided to not pester any of my dear friends and relatives with picking me up, taking me home only to have to get up a few hours later to bring me back.  "I can sit in the bar all night or watch Netflix on the airport wifi" I thought.  Only to find out that everything at SeaTac International Airport shuts down tight at 11pm.  EVERYTHING.  Ok, Netflix it is.  Except that I couldn't get the wifi to work on my nearly outdated laptop.  Okaaaaay.  Read a book.  That lasted until about 11:30 when I got bored/tired/nervous/bored.

When a long night starts, it's best to go with it.  I lounged.  I followed the example of my fellow travelers by making a cozy little next on a row of seats.  I watched the volume free tv.  And I thought.  I thought about my friends and family and the wonderful party they threw me to say farewell.  I thought about lesson plans.  I thought about what my new students would be like.  And decided, it was all going to be fine.



My flight to Anchorage was also uneventful, as was the one to Dillingham where I was met by no less than the Superintendent of the district.  He took me on a tour of the town, and to my new lodgings for the first few days, the Bunkhouse. 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment