Monday, March 7, 2016

Snowy Spring Break

In 22 hours, Spring Break starts.  As of right now, it has been snowing pretty much on and off but more on than off for the past day.  So, two new things will happen.  First, I will have the shortest Spring Break ever.  I mean, I know I'm most recently from Oregon and one of the districts with the shortest school year in the nation, but I have never even heard of a school district that gave less than a full week for break.  Or less than two full weeks at Christmas but, alas, that is the case for me now.
This three day break was initially supposed to be a single day but we as a school did an extra hour of Professional Development In Service time for 14 weeks and earned the additional time off.

Second, there is a strong likelihood that there will be snow on the ground and temps in the 30s for the rest of the week.  Just as it's always in the 70s in LA, here it seems to hover in the mid-30s most of the time.  My commute makes it less difficult; I've been in the habit for some time now of just throwing on the cleanest hoodie in the morning, shuffling the 100 steps from door to door, stamp stamp the feet to clear off snow, mud, gravel and the day begins.  Reverse at 4:00.

Unless it's Tues or Friday, the designated days when those of us who are vehicle-free can use the school truck to go get mail and groceries.  Some days the truck is packed tight with teachers, usually Fridays, and some days when it is just a couple of us.  But either way, the truck is heated so it doesn't necessitate putting on snow pants (not that I have any) to go buy eggs the way I would have to if I used a 4 wheeler.  In fact, last week, knowing it was going to be a quick trip I didn't even bother with the hoodie.  It was cold, to be sure, and the wind was a bit too brisk even for me but again, knowing it was going to be minutes in the elements helped.  No damage done.

The cold was something I really worried about before I arrived in Togiak.  I grew up in Seattle, then moved to Portland where when it dips below 40 city-wide warming centers are opened.  The tv news runs graphics about the dangers of cold weather, charts explaining wind chill and multiple layers start to make people look like the younger brother in A Christmas Story who was so bundled up he couldn't put his arms down.

Now I have most of the right gear.  Good gloves that fit.  Waterproof boots that fit.  Waterproof pants, multiple hats (Seahawks if it's dryish and cold, pink ear flaps hat when really wet and cold), thermal underclothes that I have only worn once.  Because I don't know if it's the dryness of the cold here or the ubiquitousness of it but mid-30s feels different here than it does in Portland.  The idea of going outside without socks on is ludicrous for my former home but here they seem redundant and silly.  A fashion accessory I can, and do, do without most of the time.  Even my students are agog that I so rarely wear socks.  Must be the Preppie in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment