Sunday, September 13, 2015

The first month

As of today, September 13 2015, I have been in Alaska for a full month.  In that time I have learned that I have a lot to learn.  But I have managed to pick up a few things:

If someone asks if you have boots, that means they want to take you fishing.

Water resistant clothes are rags, and Columbia sportswear is better known as kindling for their wonderful fire starting ability.

There is not enough beach grass in the world to start a fire when the wind comes whipping up the Togiak river.

Raised eyebrows means you did something funny.  Or yes.  Sometimes both.

Scowly faces means the kid didn't do the assignment and has no intention of doing so.

A shrug can mean "no", "I don't know", "I don't want to know" or "I'm tired of talking to you."

"Up the hill" means you live outside of the downtown area.

Yupik names carry great significance and are based on keeping the name of a respected person alive.

Birds are wonderful parts of God's creation but even more wonderful when eaten.

All birds taste like chicken, except ptarmigan which tastes like meat.

Fish nose is the best part.  Except for the hump of a male humpy.

Ball means basketball.

Sunglasses are dumb but goggles are essential.

There is such a thing as a dress hoodie.

And finally, sunlight has nothing to do with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment